Although I've been here for almost 2 months, and feel quite settled, I sometimes still feel like I'm on a vacation and about to fly back. Not that I want to, I'm having a great time.
I spend most of my time in one of the libraries reading for class, and trying to figure out which direction all of my papers are going in. I'm enjoying my option couse on Giotto, and it makes me want to take a trip to Italy even more than before...if that is possible. I went to the V&A Museum the other day and came across a painting of Giotto. He didn't really look like how I pictured him to, but then again I never pictured him looking like anything. The core class is going alright. I find it a little on the boring side, but it's more a lecture style class, and focuses more on methodology rather than interpretation. Which is important too, but just not as interesting.
The other day I was thinking about some conversations I had with people at work about how the Christmas season keeps coming earlier and earlier each year. I personally think that stores should wait at least until after Thanksgiving. I mean it is a major holiday. Anyway, when I came here in September I noticed there were already signs "make you Christmas party reservations." Now I realize that there isn't Thanksgiving here, but they do celebrate Halloween. A holiday that I don't have much of an interest in, but that's besides the point. One day I walked in to the grocery store at the beginning of October, and what do I see...an aisle "Christmas food." Now I understand if people here get into Christmas, I really like the holiday myself, and I'm even okay with decorations and stores putting up their decorations early. But I don't really understand the grocery selling Christmas food 3 months ahead of time. It's probably just candy and other non-perishable items, but I guess my point is...wait until after Halloween.
In other news, I haven't gone exploring very much yet, but I have lots of places I would like to go to. I think it might get harder to motivate myself, especially since I have a lot of research I need to get done, and the fact that it gets dark really early, which I'm never a fan. I also think that once you are living somewhere, it's harder to go out to see things because you think "Oh, it's there I will have time to go" and it gets put on the back burner. I do have a couple things planned, don't worry, I do go out and do things, and I'll let you know when they happen. But for now, enjoy some of the pictures I took around campus and where I live. Virginia Woolf lived in one of the buildings where my classes are held, and I get very lost trying to find my way around the building. I haven't read any of her books though, I'll have to get around to doing that.
Tuesday, November 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment